Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Thrifty Thursday ~ Keeping Coupons Organized

Keeping Coupons Organized
Kellie Renfroe

Most coupon organizers are too small and wear out quickly. Putting coupons in my purse makes a mess and I end up with a bottomless pit of crumbled coupons I can't find when needed. The manila file folder I used to keep coupons in was big, bulky, and ugly. What's a mom to do?

This summer friend Lori Lauth shared how she transferred all retail store coupons to a business card holder to keep in her purse. While I did not have a business card holder, my day timer did have an clear plastic page with a zip closure. Putting frequent shopper cards, restaurant coupons, and sale coupons in this quickly brought organization to my purse.

Next came the mountain of grocery coupons. Using a plastic accordion style file folder with velcro that I already had on hand gave my coupons a home of their own.

The tab dividers have been labeled for each of the coupon circulars found in the weekly newspaper. Smart Source, Red Plum, a tab for loose coupons, entertainment coupons, restaurant coupons, and the last tab is blank for current week sale flyers, scissors to cut out coupons, and weekly grocery list.

This is an old file folder bought at Wal-Mart about five years back for around $4.88. Now these types of folders can be found in decorative colors. I especially like the way it closes up--nothing falls out.

To keep my coupons up to date I spend about 10 minutes weekly doing coupon housekeeping.
* I clip all the restaurant coupons from new circulars and put either in file folder or holder in my purse (if I know we will be visiting soon).
* Write the date on the front of the circular (found on its spine) and file. I put the current week circular at the front.
* Throw out all the junk pages in the new circular as I look through it. You know the pages--labels, dolls, support shoes.
* Throw out last week's grocery sale ads and put in new ones.

Keeping my coupons organized as been a source of frustration over the years as system after system failed. It seems I've finally hit on a keeper! The folder is kept in the mini van so it is always available. I get it out once a week to make out our grocery list.

If you are wondering why I write the date on the front of the circulars and even keep them intact instead of clipping favorite coupons then you need to visit Abundant Living at Mentoring Moments for Christian Women. I use an online site, CouponMom.com, that matches up weekly sales with newspaper coupons. Besides deep discounts, items can even be had for free using this method. Another great site is The Grocery Game. Visit Abundant Living to learn more about this method of literally cutting your grocery bill in half.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Oasis | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates