Thursday, January 15, 2009

Fave Cookbooks

Fave Cookbooks
I read a listing recently of the best cookbooks of 2008. I recognized the names of two of the chefs and none of the cookbooks. It made me think about my favorite cookbooks and the fact that they are probably unheard too.

Calling All Cooks:
Telephone Pioneers of America-Alabama Chapter (1982)
My mother gave me this cookbook when I married, 20 years ago. The yellow paperback covers are long gone. It is a compilation of recipes from phone company employees in Alabama. Kristie Markham, a high school BFF, was also given this cookbook when she married, 19 years ago (see I remember!). When I'm looking for a recipe I'll call Kristie and she always says, 'have you checked the yellow cookbook?' At over 700 pages, it is filled with the best of the best down-home Southern recipes you can find. I was amazed when I did a quick Amazon search and found it. Equally amazing is it is the first in a series of four cookbooks! There are no pictures in this cookbook but I have yet to make a recipe from it that was not fantastic.










Feasting from the Master's Bounty:
The Ladies Ministeries of Hamilton Church of God
This cookbook is a sentimental favorite because I can look through and recall women who mentored me in the Lord. A former Sunday School teacher, a friend's mother, the pastor's wife--their favorite recipes are all here. Besides their memory, I can still remember their wonderful cooking! This is a cookbook I go to often for family favorites such as my Mom's banana pudding recipe. Sorry, this cookbook is long out of print.

A Taste of Heaven: Duluth Church of God Women's Ministry
Now these women know how to cook! Sister Martha Jo Hansard's chocolate pie (old fashion cooked version) is my husband's favorite. The mix of old style Southern recipes with new favorites makes this my most used cookbook of late. If you would like a copy you'll have to contact the Duluth Church of God in Duluth, Georgia to see if they have any left in stock. I believe the cost is $15.

Apron's Simple Meals
This binder style cookbook comes from Publix grocery store. Filled with simple 30 minute meal recipes covering breakfast to dinner, it also includes plenty of good desserts. Most of the recipes are healthy. The binder with a year of recipes is $5.99 and can be purchased in the grocery store. I enjoy stopping by their cooking counter to try out the receipe of the day--and picking up a new recipe for my binder for free. I particularly like their fish recipes which are fast and easy.

Taste of Home Annual Recipes
Quick Cooking Annual Recipes by Taste of Home

My all-time favorite cookbook series comes from Taste of Home magazine. Early on I fell in love with Taste of Home magazine but did not like the clutter of more magazines. Besides, I found I was tearing all the recipes out! Instead of ripped pages I decided in 1999 to wait until the end of the year and purchase the recipe book. It started with Taste of Home and published Quick Cooking magazine, I had to have those annual recipes too. The books are filled with photos, marvelous recipes, and helpful hints. I received these cookbooks until 2007 when I realized that I had more cookbooks and recipes than I could make in a lifetime. The Quick Cooking books are a particular favorite as they include a Freezer Pleaser section of recipes that are perfect to make ahead and freeze.









My favorite cookbooks may not be on the top cookbooks of 2008 list but I adore each one. I would love to hear about your favorite cookbooks too -- they may find their way into my collection this year!

America Online's Top Cookbooks of 2008
The Paley's Place Cookbook by Vitaly Paley and Kimberly Paley
Eat Me: The Food and Philosophy of Kenny Shopsin by Kenny Shopsin and Carolynn Carreno
Cooking: 600 recipes, 1500 photographs, and one kitchen education by James Peterson
Made in Spain: Spanish Dishes for the American Kitchen by Jose Andres
A Day at elBulli by Ferran Adria
Martha Stewart's Cooking School: Lessons and Recipes for the Home Cook by Martha Stewart
Milk: The Surprising Story of Milk through the Ages by Anne Mendelson
Urban Italian: Simple Recipes and True Stories from a Life in Food by Andrew Carmellini
A Platter of Figs and Other Recipes by David Tanis
Cooking with Curtis: Easy, Everyday and Adventurous Recipes for the Home Cook by Curtis Stone
The Modern Baker: Time-Saving Techniques for Breads, Tarts, Pies, Cakes, and Cookies by Nick Malgieri
The Art & Soul of Baking by Cindy Mushet
BakeWise: The Hows and Whys of Successful Baking by Shirley O.Corriher
Enchanted Thyme: Book 1 The Delicious Adventure Series by Ariane Smith with recipes by Chef Michael Wilsom

1 comment:

Kneemailer said...

Kellie;

Just stumbled on your blog today and was reading through some of your older blogs. "DCOG Taste of Heaven" is also one of my faves. Martha Jo's Choc Cake is MMM good! I just got a reorder notification in the mail to see if we want to get more copies to sell, and I'm considering doing so but want to run it by the WM board. This has been a fantastic fundraiser ... oh and BTW, the cost is $16.00 :-) It's a real bargain with approximately 800 recipes in it. I've seen cookbooks sold for over $30 that didn't have near the amount of recipes (and GOOD ones) in it that this one does.

Enjoying your blogs. Blessings!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Oasis | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates